5 Sanity-Saving Tips for Moving on Short NoticePosted By: herlihywp Comments: 0 Categories: Moving Tips
The logistics of planning a move are stressful enough when you have months to prepare. However, when facing a short-notice move, you might have to condense all that planning into just a few weeks or less. Yikes!
Before you let your stress get the better of you, there are a few things you can do to make your short-notice move go as smoothly as possible.
1. Make a List and Stay on Track
Start by making a detailed list of everything that needs to get done before you move. This can include anything from packing and setting up utility transfers to packing an essentials bag.
From there, try to prioritize the items on your list from most urgent to least urgent and pressing. If you have trouble prioritizing the items on your moving checklist, consider using a strategy like the Eisenhower Matrix for more effective task management. Setting realistic deadlines for each task to stay caught up may also be helpful.
2. Take Help Where You Can Get It
Even if you don’t like to ask for help and prefer to handle everything yourself, accept that this is one situation where you will probably need assistance from others.
Now is the time to call in favors from family, friends, and loved ones. Whether it’s help packing up items in your home, cleaning out your fridge, or even tackling your grocery shopping so you can focus on other things, a little help can go a long way in taking the stress and burden off of your own shoulders.
3. Purge While You Pack
If you’re feeling overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff you need to get from point A to point B, consider downsizing while you pack by getting rid of things you no longer need as you go.
With each room you pack, set aside two extra boxes— one for items to sell/donate and one for things to discard. The less you have to pack and move, the less you have to unpack—which will make for a smoother move and easier settling in.
4. Get Packing Immediately
When packing quickly for a short-notice move, giving less thought to the organization and more thought to simply packing everything into a box and putting it away is necessary. You want to move all your stuff to your new house without damaging it, so if you cannot sort items or keep a list, that is fine. Maintain focus and follow these packing tips for a quick move:
- Pack now and sort later. Do not stress over forming “themes” or grouping similar items if your timing doesn’t allow it. Put things where they fit. To save time, you may have to combine dissimilar items such as junk drawer items and toiletries or board games and sweaters. You can deal with sorting once you are in your new home if you have packed everything safely and securely. Try to provide at least a general label on each box, but label all fragile items.
- Assemble the boxes as you need them. To maintain a well-organized and manageable workspace, assemble boxes only when prepared to pack them. When a box is full, tape it up, move it out of the way, and start a new one.
- Pack your clothes precisely as they are. Packing clothes as-is will save you time and packing materials. For hanging clothes, wrap a sturdy garbage bag around them. Start from the bottom and tie the bag’s strings around the top near the hangers. If the dresser is not too heavy to move, remove each drawer and wrap it in packing materials or leave it as is.
5. Hire Professional Movers
Lastly, consider hiring professional movers. These experts can take so much of the stress out of your short-notice move—and some may even offer packing services as a bonus. Plus, you might be surprised at how cost-effective professional movers are.
Are you interested in a personalized moving quote? Contact our knowledgeable and friendly team to get started today!